Two distinct processes are available to create transcripts. One transcript process uses COBOL to generate the transcript and Crystal reports to print the transcript. The other transcript process generates transcripts using Application Engine, creates detailed results tables, and uses XML to produce the report in .PDF format. The processes have separate and distinct transcript type setup and processing pages and should not be in production concurrently.
After you have set up transcript notes, transcript types, and transcript type security, you're ready to create transcript requests and process transcripts. The Transcript feature enables you to define multiple types of transcripts at varying levels of security, formality, appearance, and function. You can produce transcripts for individual students or for dynamically created groups of students that meet criteria you specify. You can process transcripts online or in the background at scheduled intervals, and you can send the results to a file, a window, or a printer. Finally, the Transcript feature includes a purge process that enables you to delete transcript results and requests. Purging transcripts periodically is a maintenance practice that enhances system performance.
If you are using the COBOL process to create transcripts, the choices you have for producing transcripts are the same as those that you have for producing advising reports. In the Application Engine transcript process, the advisement reports are created by using a different component. We briefly discuss advising reports in this section, but you are encouraged to review the PeopleSoft Enterprise Academic Advisement 9.0 PeopleBook for more information.
The COBOL transcript process provides you with five components that you can use to create, process, print, and purge transcript requests:
• Transcript Request component to request, process, and print small numbers of transcripts (fewer than 20).
• Batch Transcript Request component to define group parameters and create request for large group (more than 20) of students.
• Batch Transcript Generation component to process and generate transcripts for a previously created online request, and generate transcripts for a previously created batch request.
• Batch Transcript Print component to print transcripts that were previously generated through either the Transcript Request inquiry component or the Batch Transcript Generation process component.
• Transcript Purge component to purge transcript requests and transcript results based on parameters that you specify.
The Application Engine transcript process provides three components that you can use to create, process, print, and purge transcript requests:
• Request Transcript Report component to request, process, and print small numbers of transcripts (fewer than 20).
• Process Transcripts component combines the functionality of both the Batch Transcript Request and the Generate and Print Transcripts components.
• Purge Transcript Reports component to purge transcript requests and transcript results based on parameters that you specify.
Upon completion of this lesson, you will be able to:
• Process transcripts for individuals or small groups.
• Process batch transcripts.
• Create batch transcript requests.
• Use the Grade Review Transcript Release process.
• Produce electronic transcripts.
• Produce electronic transcripts in batch.
• Review TS130 outbound transactions.
• Process TS131 inbound files.
• Review student transcript request history.
• Purge transcripts.
Table of Contents